Looking for books to teach in your classroom? Each lesson plan is ready for immediate classroom adoption with suggested assignments, writing prompts, extension activities, and more! Each Core Curriculum Lesson Plan was created by educators for educators and is specifically aligned to the Common Core State Standards.
Presenting Core Curriculum Lesson Plans to our modern classics! These books range widely in age groups and interest levels but all have two things in common—they are high interest and generate strong discussions perfect for classroom instruction.
- Grades 3-4: Mirror, Mirror: The Book of Reversible Verse by Marilyn Singer; illustrated by Josee Masse
- NEW! Grades 3-5: Matilda by Roald Dahl
- Grades 4-5: A Tale Dark and Grimm by Adam Gidwitz
- NEW! Grades 4-6: Savvy by Ingrid Law
- Grades 4-6: Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko
- Grades 5-6: The Green Glass Sea by Ellen Klages
- Grades 7-10: Matched by Ally Condie
- Grades 7-10: Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys
- Grades 7-10: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Series, Programs, & Thematic Brochures
Teach these great series in your classrooms with the Core Curriculum Lesson Plans below.
- The Penguin Read Aloud Educator Guide
- PYR: A Leveled Reader Program
- Grades 3-6: Who Was…? Series
- Grades 3-4: Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and the Fudge series by Judy Blume
- Grades 3-5: The Treasure Chest series by Ann Hood
- Grades 5-7: Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine
- Grades 5-7: Jefferson’s Sons by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
- Think Twice, Play Nice: The Penguin Anti-Bullying Brochure